Course # DL-985: Hematology Case Studies: Platelets
by Helen M. Sowers, MA, CLS - Dept of Biological Science (ret.) - California State University, East Bay - Hayward, CA
Dora W. Goto, MS, CLS, MLS(ASCP)CM - Laboratory Consultant - University HealthCare Alliance - Hayward, CA
Approved for 1.0 CE
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate
After completing this course the participant will be able to
1. Differentiate among the causes of thrombocythemia.
2. Explain how to determine the platelet count when the count is above the upper reportable range of the analyzer.
3. Estimate the platelet count from the blood smear.
4. List the signs and symptoms of Essential Thrombocythemia.
5. Enumerate the causes of thrombocytopenia.
6. Discuss the causes of pseudothrombocytopenia.
7. Explain the methods of determining the causes of pseudothrombocytopenia.